Monday, August 31, 2015

Week 5 EDL 642 Assignment: Augmented Learning Assignment QR Codes

Use in the Classroom:

In reference to this weeks assignment, I plan to use this artifact to assist my current clients and future students make the best decision about which college to attend. As part of the services that our program offers we conduct what is called a college program search. During this college program search the client/student is given two assessments (a needs assessment, and an Educational Plan of Action). These two client assessments are designed to determine what outcomes the clients wants in reference to their educational goals, how soon they want to accomplish their goals, and what type of college program they are looking for. Other things that are taken into consideration are career choices, location of the program, and types of financial aid available.

Once the information is compiled, the client is normally taken on a college campus tour. In lieu of taking a college campus tour a virtual college campus tour would be an excellent option. This artifact can be designed for any college campus and gives the client/student options when they are not available to physically tour a campus or in some instances our grant program does not have the funding to take a college campus tour.

Application:

The QR Code artifact listed below, the virtual college campus tour of Georgia Perimeter College, was developed based on the Segmented Principle of Multimedia Technology. The Segmented Principle allows the client/student to view the campus in learner paced segments rather than a continuous unit. The student can also repeatedly view segments of the lesson. Through out the assignment there are various graphics, narration, and onscreen text that lend themselves to the Redundancy Principle. This principle is important because there in a considerable amount of information presented in this artifact.

Refection:

This weeks assignment was definitely challenging. As I have stated previously, I am definitely not a technologically savvy individual. However, I have worked in and around technology. I used to manage a LMS System for a human resources division at Georgia State University. During that time I used some HTML Code so I am familiar with using different types of technology.

Creating this artifact was not necessarily challenging on the development side but on the technical side. The task became difficult when determining how to post the artifact to my blog page. I literally attempted every way to post my document.

Finally, I found a simple solution and had to utilize HTML code to adjust the artifact and ultimately re-format my original document. Each week our assignments for EDL 642 manage to take me out of my comfort and enable me rely on my resourcefulness to seek assistance from subject matter experts in the field of higher education. As future instructors we must rely on our colleagues. It is a great idea to create a network of subject matter experts (smes) to whom we can rely on.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alesia,
    Awesome job on your Augmented Learning Blog this week, I really enjoyed reading through this. I think it turned out really cool. I also enjoyed the document a lot, I read through it, and scanned each of the QR codes. Just so you know on my end, they all worked. This is a great way for a senior in high school to look at these two colleges, and see if it is where they want to go. I had a really hard time getting my document on here as well, and finally decided to make it into a google document, which actually worked really well. There was no way that I could find to take the document from my computer and put it on my blog, but it looks like we both figured it out. I think these assignments are taking us very outside our comfort zone. This is what school is all about, doing things that we never expected to do, but we do it, and in the end it is amazing. Keep up the great work, you are doing it, and you will keep achieving what you set out to do.
    Take care,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alesia,

    I really enjoyed your QR code artifact. I can certainly see how they would help your clients. In my opinion, it turned out really good. With how technology advanced a lot of high school seniors are this day in age, I think that this would be a really cool resource for them. I also had a hard time with embedding it on my blog site, but in the end, I figured it out as well. Great work!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I had such trouble trying to figure out how to organize my document so my students could easily work through my QR code activity. Your document inspired me to create a learning check using QR codes. Also, color coding the QR codes would help break up my document and not overwhelm my lower level learners. Personally, I would have loved to have a document like you created when I was thinking about which college to attend. I could have used my phone and a piece of paper and only go to the QR code links that I had questions about. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I had such trouble trying to figure out how to organize my document so my students could easily work through my QR code activity. Your document inspired me to create a learning check using QR codes. Also, color coding the QR codes would help break up my document and not overwhelm my lower level learners. Personally, I would have loved to have a document like you created when I was thinking about which college to attend. I could have used my phone and a piece of paper and only go to the QR code links that I had questions about. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete